Have you ever had oily skin problems? Have you ever experienced a rash or fungus that you just couldn’t get rid of? Tea tree essential oil may be the solution to your problems. But what is tea tree oil and where does it come from?
The tea tree is, in fact, a real tree, and its scientific name is Melaleuca alternifolia. It’s originally from Australia, though today it is grown in other places for commercial use. One of the main uses for this plant is the extraction of essential oil from its leaves. The oil has a strong odor, similar to a pine or eucalyptus tree. It is actually toxic to consume pure tea tree oil, so you must dilute it with another oil and avoid internal use. That being said, tea tree oil has many positive properties which can be safely harnessed and enjoyed via aromatherapy or beauty treatments.
Uses and Benefits of Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil has long been used as a remedy for various health ailments, particularly those which affect the skin and hair. Let’s take a look at some of the specific benefits of this essential oil.
- Eliminates and prevents acne. If you have oily skin that is prone to blemishes, tea tree oil can help. Be sure to find a product that reduces acne but doesn’t irritate your skin.
- The benefits of tea tree oil for skin do not end with acne prevention. This oil can also be used to protect and heal wounds. Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties, so if you get a cut or other cutaneous injury, a tea tree oil preparation may help it heal without infection. Be sure to dilute it with a carrier oil to avoid further irritating the skin.
- Fungal infections. If you have athlete’s foot, jock itch, or another type of topical fungus, you should certainly try tea tree oil. It’s a natural antifungal cure.
- If you have an oily or flaky scalp, tea tree oil may help restore the health of your hair. Tea tree oil is soothing to the skin and it helps stimulate blood flow in the scalp.
- Head lice. Tea tree essential oil has been shown to help eliminate head lice. There are special shampoos and products for this purpose. You may consult a doctor before using these products on children.
- Tea tree oil is very potent and smelling it will help you relax and breathe more easily. The scent is most similar to other trees, like eucalyptus and pine. If you use tea tree oil in a diffuser, you will easily find yourself to a tranquil state of mind, almost like being in the woods.
If you want to buy plain tea tree essential oil, it is usually sold in small quantities for aromatherapy use. Companies like Doterra sell the oil plain or in blends. To blend this oil, we recommend using floral or spicy scents. Some common tea tree oil blends include: cinnamon, black pepper, lavender, pine, thyme, rosewood, rosemary, and geranium.
Of course, there are other ways to enjoy this oil. Because it is a strong oil, it only takes a small amount to make effective tea tree essential oil preparations for the skin and hair. There are tea tree shampoos, conditioners, and masks for your hair. Tea tree oil skin products are even more varied; you can find toners, blemish sticks, cleansers, and much more! These products are great for people who are tired of traditional harsh skin products. Because tea tree oil is natural, these skin products are more gentle on the face.
Can I Make Tea with Tea Tree Oil?
No, you cannot. The name of this tree is a bit deceptive. As we mentioned, 100% pure oil is toxic for humans. Even if the tea tree essential oil is organic, it should not be taken internally. This oil is natural, but that doesn’t mean it is non-toxic. Tea for drinking comes from another plant.
Where to Buy Tea Tree Essential Oil
There are many different brands and stores that sell essential oils. If you are looking for pure tea tree essential oil, Young Living and Doterra are two popular brands. You can buy it through their representatives. Additionally, tea tree essential oil is sold online and at stores. Target, Walmart, and other large stores carry tea tree essential oil, as well as variety of tea tree skin and hair products. The Body Shop also has a special line of tea tree oil skincare products. Make sure to use high-quality and 100% natural essential oils!