Herbs are wonderful. We grow them in our gardens, add them to recipes, and even use them to heal our bodies and minds. Thyme is one such herb. It has so many benefits for our health that most people aren’t even aware of. The most effective way to use thyme to promote wellness is as an essential oil. Let’s discover how thyme essential oil can improve your life.
Uses for Thyme Essential Oil
- This one is obvious: aromatherapy. Thyme has a rich, warm herbal scent, because it contains linalool and other compounds. Use this oil to relax, to connect with nature, and promote a positive, uplifting mood. Thyme blends well with other oils, like rosemary, basil, lemon, lavender, orange, grapefruit, oregano, pine, and geranium. Try mixing a few drops of these oils in your favorite diffuser!
- Thyme has antibiotic, antiseptic, and antifungal properties. It can be used to treat insect bites, topical skin infections, and other less serious conditions. Thyme oil will also help keep cuts and bites healthy as the skin heals.
- Thyme essential oil can help soothe your skin and prevent breakouts. It helps eliminate the bacteria that live on your skin and cause acne. Even if you don’t have acne, thyme can help tone your skin to make your face look brighter and rejuvenated. Look for beauty products that contain this essential oil or create your own treatment with a few drops of thyme oil and a carrier oil, like jojoba or sesame oil.
- Some studies have shown that thyme essential oil supports healthy hair. When applied to the roots and combed through the hair, this oil can help strengthen your hair and prevent breakage. It also stimulates circulation and regeneration at the scalp level, which will help you grow healthy hair in the future.
- Thyme has a lot of antioxidant-type compounds that are currently being studied as cancer treatments. Thyme may help balance or regulate hormone levels and destroy certain cancer cells, like those that cause breast or prostate cancer. These studies are still ongoing, but we find it encouraging that modern medicine is exploring to the idea of more holistic treatments, like essential oils. Stay tuned for more updates about thyme essential oil as a cancer treatment.
Types of Thyme Essential Oil
There are many varieties of the thyme plant. As such, there are also a few types of thyme essential oil. We’ll mention two of the most common thyme oils on the market.
- Red thyme. This variety of thyme oil has a strong scent. It has similar properties to common/white thyme oil, but it is extra effective as an antibacterial and antifungal agent. It is usually more expensive.
- White thyme essential oil. This thyme oil is further distilled. It is also known as sweet or common thyme oil because its aroma is not quite as heavy or pungent as some other varieties. Most pure thyme oils on the market are made from this plant. It is not as expensive.
- Wild thyme is another beautiful species of thyme. It produces small pink or purple flowers. Wild thyme is not typically used to make essential oils, though!
Where to Buy Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme essential oil is common. You can buy it at most natural grocers, like Whole Foods, and at large shops like Walmart or Target. If you want to look for a certain brand or type of thyme oil, try Amazon. Now Essential Oils makes a white thyme oil. Other popular brands like Doterra and Young Living also offer thyme essential oil. Always by high-quality, pure oils from reputable companies!