Oregano…isn’t that a pizza topping?
Yes, yes, it is. Many people may be familiar with this aromatic herb because of its culinary uses. However, oregano has many more properties for you to take advantage of, particularly in the realm of health and wellness. Oregano essential oil is the pure essence of this plant. The oil is extracted from the tiny oregano leaves, creating a powerful and natural health supplement.
Oregano Essential Oil Treatments
So what are those wonderful health benefits of oregano oil? How can we take advantage of its healing properties? Let’s take a look:
- Oregano oil is renowned for its antiseptic and antibacterial powers. It promotes a healthy immune system and may help fight off colds. Everyone can benefit from a healthy, strong immune system! Read on for more information about taking this oil orally.
- Oregano oil has amazing antifungal properties. If you suffer from athlete’s foot, toenail fungus, or any number of other fungal skin infections, you may want to try this treatment. As with any oil, we recommend diluting the oregano oil with a carrier oil, like olive or coconut oil, before applying it to your skin. You should see results after several applications of the oil.
- Similarly, you may use oregano essential oil as a topical treatment for warts. Warts are usually caused by a virus, and they commonly occur on the hands or feet. Oregano oil can help. This oil will not stop warts from forming, but it will prevent them from growing larger. No more hiding your hands or avoiding summer footwear!
- Like all essential oils, oregano oil can also be used for aromatherapy. With this particular oil, you may also wish to buy other essential oils to create blends. Oregano oil mixes well with other herb scents, as well as citrus and floral scents. Lemon, orange, grapefruit, lavender, rose, sandalwood, basil, rosemary, and tea tree oils are some of our suggestions for a pleasing oregano blend.
- Oregano can also be used to make homemade cleaning solutions. Remember those antibacterial powers it has? They can also be harnessed to clean surfaces in your kitchen and bathroom. Just make a simple cleaning solution, with vinegar and water, and add a few drops of oregano essential oil. Spray and wipe to keep your home surfaces clean!
Taking Oregano Essential Oil Internally
A lot of readers want to know: can oregano oil be taken internally? The short answer is yes, it can. It can’t be taken straight, as the 100% pure oregano oil is far too potent. So it should be taken in capsule form. Essential oregano capsules can be homemade or purchased in soft gel form. As we’ve mentioned, this oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties and is thought to give the immune system a boost.
Consult your doctor before taking oregano oil supplements orally, especially if you have allergies to other herbs or plants. We don’t recommend cooking with oregano oil, because it may produce an undesirably strong flavor.
Where to Buy Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano oil is quite common. It comes in various sizes, like 1 oz, 2 oz, or 4 oz. Any large retailer, like Amazon or Walmart, will carry oregano essential oil. Young Living essential oils carries oregano oil, as does Doterra. Other well-regarded oil brands include Mountain Rose Herbs, NOW oils, and Eden’s Garden. Be on the lookout for special promotions; many companies have fantastic deals if you buy multiple oils, which is great if you want to create an oregano oil blend. We hope you enjoy your experience with oregano essential oil!