Normally we begin a specific oil article by connecting our readers with the plant that produces the essential oil of discussion. People are already familiar with lavender and basil, so it is not hard to imagine using those essential oils. However, myrrh is somewhat of a mystery. So we’re going to pose a more basic question: have you ever heard of myrrh?
If not, prepare to have your mind opened to a wonderful new essential oil. Myrrh is the resin produced by a small, thorny tree which is found in the Middle East and parts of Africa. It’s been used for millennia as an incense and perfume; it was even presented as a gift to baby Jesus in the Bible. Spiritual beliefs aside, we believe everyone can benefit from the aroma and properties of myrrh essential oil.
Uses for Myrrh Essential Oil
- Myrrh essential oil is used for aromatherapy. This oil helps clear your mind and deepen meditative practice. In terms of specific health benefits, myrrh can reduce tension and stress in the body, and it can improve respiration and circulation when inhaled. Use this oil in your favorite oil diffuser.
- This oil makes for a delicious, natural perfume. It has musky and spicy notes. You can wear it alone with a carrier oil or blended with another essential oil. Myrrh essential oil blends especially well with frankincense, and the two oils are highly regarded in some cultures. It also blends well with sweet and woody aromas, like vanilla, cinnamon, sandalwood, cedar, pine, and rose essential oil.
- Myrrh has antiseptic properties. It can be used to help protect damaged skin and keep it clean of bacteria. Myrrh essential oil should be diluted with a carrier oil before applying it topically.
- This oil is great for your complexion. Myrrh essential oil keeps skin looking youthful and healthy. Look for beauty products that contain myrrh oil or try making your own face treatments with a few drops of myrrh essential oil. You may wish to consult a dermatologist before using myrrh oil to combat specific skin conditions, like acne, dermatitis, or wrinkles. They can advise you about the safest and most effective way to use essential oils on your skin, so we recommend consulting them.
- As we mentioned, myrrh essential oil has often been associated with different religious customs. This oil is thought to have spiritual properties. It is sprinkled in ceremonies and burned at special events. It’s also mentioned in various religious texts. That being said, we firmly believe that anyone can enjoy this oil, regardless of religious or spiritual beliefs.
Where to Buy Myrrh Essential Oil
Pure myrrh essential oil is very affordable and easy to find. It’s produced mostly in Eastern Africa, sometimes through organic processes but not always. Young Living, Doterra, and Now essential oils are three companies that produce myrrh essential oil, as well as myrrh blends. Their products can be found either online or via company representatives. You can also find this oil in health food stores or online via Amazon. You may even want to order some companion oils, like frankincense or sandalwood to make a delightful holy blend. Try myrrh essential oil and start enjoying the health benefits today!