Frankincense: it sounds familiar to anyone with a vague religious upbringing, but most people don’t have the slightest idea about the uses or properties of this mysterious substance. Let’s unmask this mystical essential oil and discover how it’s being used today.
To begin with, frankincense is not just an oil. It is extracted from a plant, in this case, the Boswellia tree. This tree is found near the Red Sea in the Middle East, where people have been using and trading frankincense for millennia. The sap, or resin, is extracted from the bark of these trees. When it dries, the resin forms a crystalline structure. This is where the frankincense essential oil comes from.
Uses of Frankincense Essential Oil
- The most obvious use for frankincense oil is aromatherapy. The name itself suggests fine quality incense and an exotic, earthy aroma. It can be used alone or blended. Frankincense blends well with spicy or herbal scents. Enjoy this oil using a diffuser or essential oil burner.
- Because of its luxurious smell, frankincense essential oil is also used in perfumes. You can, of course, make your own with a carrier oil and a few drops of frankincense. The smell will boost your mood, which is another nice benefit.
- Frankincense oil has amazing healing benefits for the skin. It has been shown to help erase scars and combat acne. It even has anti-aging qualities. The natural chemicals in this oil act as a light astringent, which remove spots and other imperfections. It helps clear away the outer layer of skin cells, while encouraging the regeneration of beautiful, healthy skin. Of course, you should consult a dermatologist on the best way to incorporate frankincense oil into your beauty routine.
- The anti-aging properties of frankincense extend to your hair, as well. Frankincense oil may help prevent hair loss as you get older and may even stimulate hair growth by strengthening the roots. Add a few drops to your shampoo or apply it by hand at the roots of your hair.
- Taking frankincense internally promotes overall wellness. It boosts your mood, helps control stress and anxiety, and keeps the body’s internal defenses strong. It can be taken orally in a capsule or by adding a few drops to a glass of water.
- In the medical community, there is a lot of interest in the other benefits of frankincense essential oil. Studies are researching the effectiveness of frankincense in treating arthritis, infections, and oral health problems. It’s also purported to have anti-cancer properties, which we’ll discuss below.
Does Frankincense Oil Treat Cancer?
Health conscious readers are increasingly interested in the link between frankincense essential oil and cancer treatment. While we can’t provide any medical guarantees, research does show very promising results for the treatment of certain cancers, like ovarian, colon, prostate, and skin cancer. The acids and other compounds in this oil are thought to combat the cancer cells while strengthening the immune system and helping to reduce inflammation.
Still, more research is needed on this treatment. We would like to remind our readers that there are no miracle cures, but many alternative forms of cancer treatment are worth exploring, including frankincense oil. For more information, or for frankincense cancer treatment testimonials, continue researching and contact your doctor if you are interested in this treatment.
What Constitutes a Quality Frankincense Oil?
If you want to maximize the effectiveness of essential oils like frankincense, it’s important to pay attention to quality. Look for products that are marked as therapeutic grade, organic, and 100% pure. Always read the ingredient list and only settle for oils that are 100%, with no synthetic additives. If you follow this advice, you will find oils which have the highest concentration of frankincense’s healing powers.
Where to Buy Frankincense Essential Oil
Most major essential oil companies offer pure frankincense oils. Doterra, Young Living, and Now essential oils all produce frankincense oil. You can find these products, and others, for purchase online. Amazon also carries essential oils. If you have additional questions, consult the experts at your local health food shop or herbalist; they will be happy to assist you and answer your questions about frankincense essential oil.