Here at Aromatherapia.org, basil is one of our favorite ingredients. There is nothing quite as tasty as organic basil on a homemade pizza or lemonade infused with fresh basil from the garden. This savory, sweet leafy herb is used to add flavor to many cuisines, but it is also an important health supplement. Basil essential oil is good for your body, inside and out.
Now, you are probably wondering, “But what is basil essential oil used for?” Keep reading to find out!
Uses for Basil Essential Oil
What is basil essential oil good for? Let’s see:
- Basil essential oil has many health benefits when used in aromatherapy. This oil has a sweet, sometimes spicy smell. It is useful if you want to relax and decompress. It is relaxing, but it does not cause fatigue or drowsiness. Use this oil in a diffuser or wear it on your wrists with a carrier oil to maintain its aromatherapy powers.
- If you want to take the aroma benefits of basil a step further, try blending it with another essential oil. Basil essential oil blends well with orange, lemon, grapefruit, rosemary, oregano, cedar, pine, black pepper, lavender, and neroli. If you discover a fantastic basil oil recipe, please share it on our Facebook page!
- Basil essential oil seems to be good for your hair. Specifically, it may promote hair growth. When diluted and applied to the scalp, this oil stimulates both relaxation and circulation. It allows the hair follicles to absorb more nutrients, which builds stronger, faster-growing hair.
- Some people believe that basil essential oil is good for breastfeeding. While this claim is still being studied, many say that taking it internally will increase a mother’s milk supply. We encourage you to talk to your doctor about basil essential oil capsules and to follow packaging and medical advice before taking any product internally.
- Basil essential oil also helps improve your skin, particularly if you suffer from certain skin conditions like acne or dermatitis. This oil stimulates various body systems, including the circulatory, immune, and nervous systems. In turn, circulation to your skin improves, which helps the cells regenerate and heal. Basil oil will also help your skin be more resistant to bacteria and stress-related aging.
- This oil can help with digestion! Diluting a few drops of organic basil oil in a glass of water and taking it after a meal will helps settle your stomach and aid the process of digestion. Use only organic basil essential oil if you are taking it internally and read the dosage instructions carefully.
Where to Buy Basil Essential Oil
Many companies offer their version of basil essential oil. Big brands like Doterra, Young Living, and Now essential oils all have basil products and blends. You can also check Walmart or your local health food shop for this product. You may also encounter holy basil essential oil, which comes from another type of basil plant. This variety of basil has ceremonial usage and a more pungent smell. If you love basil, you will certainly love using holy basil essential oil.